Sunday, October 10, 2010

Row row row your boat....

...I'm starting to wonder if we might have to soon - so much rain here, local flooding and so on.  I don't mind a bit of rain normally, but this, this is crazy.  Please stop.  Soon.

Which brings me to these :D

There's a beautiful homewares shop here in Noosa that has these sets of gorgeous vintage Noosa River oars mounted on the wall (some painted white, some a la natural) and I had lusted after them for so long but knew I would have trouble justifying their purchase to husband, so I just coveted them in wishful longing silence . 

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I was dropping some old clothes and books off to the Salvos a few months ago....and could hardly believe my eyes - oars, beautiful, gorgeous vintage oars that the guy who helped me carry them out told me came from an old shed on the Noosa river that was being pulled down. They'd just come in that morning.  And the grand price for these beauties - $15 - *gasp* - and that was for the set!
I could hardly get them in my car fast enough lol. 

I was intending to paint them white (mainly because nearly everything downstairs here is white and a lot of oars I have seen have been painted white and they look stunning) and mount them on the wall, but still can't decide - they are old and original and I sort of want to do the right thing by them if you know what I mean and maybe painting them white would be taking something away from them.
Here they are -


I think they would have come from a boat like this one, a lovely old wooden Noosa River boat - there used to be loads of these along our river, but you are hardly ever see them anymore.


So, what to do, what to do.......

10 comments:

Raine and Sage said...

Incredible find and price. Congrats! I personally like them a la naturale, and wouldn't paint them. Sonia x

Paint Me White said...

Don't you love a bargain like that. They look great all in their natural state and I think painting them white they might get lost of your white walls. They are gorgeous just the way they are. Still raining here too. Sandy x

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Now that's what I call a score! I know it's probably not what you'd expect me to say, but I quite like them au naturel. Maybe you could live with them for a while and see what you think? And I've finally updated my blog roll to include yours - sorry it's taken me so long. K xx

Thea said...

Great find! I love things painted white too but these have such a lovely wear to them - I would leave them as they are.

Pineapple Villa said...

oooh you gotta love when things like that happen. I have some lovely oars too and never get sick of them. Mel xxx
(ps slight bit of blue showing here today lets hope we see more of it)

Just Martha said...

Maybe I could solve your dilemma by taking them off your hands.... Pop them in an envelope for me... lol

Felicity said...

Lucky you!

These are so much more special than anything that you could buy in a store because they have the patina of history all over them.

So happy to have found you too via Thea's blog.

x Felicity

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations. Don't you just love finding a bargain.

Laura said...

I had the same dilemma... everybody told me not to paint too... I'm still toying with it though. Lx

Selina said...

Hi just found your blog! I'm noosa too and use this little boat down the river for shop photos with the kids! Its such a cutie... enjoy your weekend, the sun is shining yay!